We envision the building of philanthropy to support Native arts and cultures. To that end, we offer this gathering of resources for Native artists and/or arts & cultural organizations as a springboard to identify career, program and project support. Visit our blog for ongoing opportunities.
Additionally, we recommend First American Art magazine as a resource of interest for Native artists and Native-led arts organizations.
We will be updating this list throughout the year, so make sure to bookmark the page, check back often and let us know if there is an opportunity that should be listed!
ABOUT GRANTS FOR ARTISTS & ARTS ORGANIZATIONS
- The Foundation Center
- Nonprofit Hub
- The GrantWriting Handbook for Alaska Native Artists & Organizations by the Ciri Foundation is helpful even if you do not you live in Alaska!
STATE & REGIONAL RESOURCES
- State Arts Agency Directory.
- In addition to State Arts Agencies, thousands of Local Arts Agencies exist across the United States, providing a wide range of programs and services, including grants and grant-writing support. Contact your State Arts Agency to learn what is available near you.
- The Ciri Foundation, Alaska
- The New England Foundation for the Arts
- The Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation
- The Western Arts Alliance, touring and performing arts professionals.
- The Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Hawai’i State Foundation on Culture and the Arts
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) project-based grants encourage partnership between artists and non-profit organizations. The only individual artist grants available are to Creative Writers and Translators. You can request to see the applications of any successful past grant.
- The National Endowment for the Humanities: grants for educational, research, and cultural preservation programs.
- United States Department of Agriculture: programs and services for rural development and tribes
- Institute of Museum and Library Services grants advance innovation, lifelong learning, and cultural and civic engagement.
- Administration for Native Americans providing financial assistance and capacity building, gathering and sharing data, and advocating for improved policies within the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- WomenArts, grants for female artists and female-led projects.
NATIVE-LED ARTS FUNDERS IN THE U.S.
2021 Guide to Artist Grants & Opportunities
New work project grants for non-profit organizations in support of new work by under recognized artists 21 years or older.
DEADLINE: April 23, 2021
Emerging Artist Residency
DEADLINE: April 30, 2021
Grants for visual artists
DEADLINE: April 30, 2021
Western Arts Alliance
Native Launchpad grant for Indigenous performing artists
DEADLINE: May 4, 2021
Center for Washington Cultural Traditions
Washington State Heritage Arts Apprenticeship Program
DEADLINE: May 17, 2021
The Hopper Prize
Unrestricted cash grants to individual artists.
DEADLINE: May 18, 2021
Grants for Artists & Photographers
DEADLINE: June 10, 2021